"The Longest Mile"

Our friends over at AdoptiveFamlies.com posted this article by Deborah Regan. We wanted to share it with those who might be in the "waiting process". Let this be of some encouragement that the wait is almost over. Just hang on because the reward is so great!

This is her story...

It's been almost five months and my husband and I are still in labor. The pregnancy was even longer-twelve months. When will this baby come, we ask ourselves. In fact, we've been waiting even longer. Almost nine years ago, my husband Peter and I decided to start a family. After two unsuccessful years, infertility testing and an unsuccessful medical intervention, we despaired. We tried not to focus on getting pregnant, despite monthly reminders, then were amazed and delighted to become pregnant several months later.


Since I was thirty-six at the time, I underwent amniocentesis which ruptured the amniotic sac. Despite three weeks of bed rest, at just five months of pregnancy, I went into labor and the baby was stillborn. We were told that only one half of one percent of the women who undergo amniocentesis experience complications. Those statistics were no comfort as we buried our baby in our small town cemetery.

For several years we felt a mix of anger, grief and confusion about why this had happened to us and how we would or if we would create a family. We continued to try to get pregnant to no avail, and at times, feared getting pregnant and losing another baby.

Adoption became the logical choice. We decided to adopt internationally and chose Korea due to their excellent health and foster care. We applied to an adoption agency, filled out many forms, met with a social worker for a home study, and then began the long wait.

After filing our application, we focused on organizing our house and going out a lot to concerts, movies and dinner. We knew that once our baby came home, our lifestyle would change.

One year later, we received our referral the first week in December. We had been hoping for a referral before Christmas, but had been warned against such a hope. The social worker's phone call to us was a blur through my tears, especially when she told us that the baby was the girl I had hoped for. We called our families and friends, enjoying their excitement as much as ours.

On the way to the adoption agency, I was afraid that I would cry when we were given a picture of our baby. But I didn't cry. I looked at the picture of her almost as dispassionately as I would look at the picture of a stranger's baby to whom I had no connection. Then I remembered that this was a stranger's baby. A stranger whom we would probably never know, but to whom we would be forever connected.

We make copies of the baby's picture, place them on our desks at work, on the kitchen table at home, send them to family, put them inside our Christmas cards. The more we look at the picture, the more she becomes our baby. Now the wait becomes more difficult....

To read the rest of Deborah's story then click HERE and join in the excitement of enduring the wait!

J.