Babies and children benefit from being read to. Children's books come in all shapes and sizes. Grab a book, snuggle up on the sofa and reap the many benefits of reading to your child.
• Babies learn to make a connection between a word and its meaning which is vital to language development.
• Reading to babies expands vocabulary and improves memory
• Reading to a child provides a foundation to pre-reading skills
• Books help to develop the preschooler's attention span.
• Children learn communication skills: how to speak, listen, and to read.
• Books also help to develop thinking and the imagination.
Added benefits for internationally adopted children include facilitating bonding and attachment, and teaching your child to learn the new language.