The Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder

Several years ago, after a particularly busy time of work and homeschooling, I took the day off and my daughter and I went on a day trip to an apple orchard in the North Carolina Mountains.  It was the best day ever. I’m not sure if it was the fresh mountain air, the warm sunshine, or the glorious pick your own, Winesap apples, but it was just what the doctor ordered.

I begrudgingly left, convinced I wanted to move home to the mountains, along with the overwhelming sense that “my soul had been healed”. My daughter has similar experiences every time we spend quality time in the great outdoors, whether it be the mountains or the beach.

In The Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder, author Richard Louv leads a convincing argument supporting the very things that we have experienced.

“Children need nature for the healthy development of their sense, and therefore, for learning and creativity.  This need is revealed in two different ways: by an examination of what happens to the senses of the young when they loose the connection with nature, and by witnessing the sensory magic that occurs when young people-even those beyond childhood-are exposed to even the smallest direct experience of a natural setting.”


See: http://amzn.to/1sAg3on

 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,